Friday, August 8, 2014

Exploring Subjects without textbooks

Another month to go whereby another year would have passed by and my little Prince shall no longer be categorized as a toddler or a pre-kindergartner. YES, I am a big boy now, a self-declaration by a small 5 year (soon to be though) old.

Now that I am super excited seeing my boy speaking 3 languages fluently, writing alphabets and numbers and living in the animal world (everything that we learn has to have an animal associated with it, be it math counting, a continent or something related to human body). I should really appreciate his knack of getting me explain him any logic with animal as the center of attraction.Its eventually puzzles and LEGOs that can keep him grounded on his feet for few 10 minutes or sometime even an hour. 

And did I mention kids of these age group ( or probably even lesser) are masters of apps be it android or iOS. His hands and brain works more faster than me...LOL :) He can get into Netflix in no time when I say his TV time is over or can please me to use YouTube to watch a rhymes/story and slowly start clicking related videos and finally land in his world of cartoon.

So all these gave me clues as to how to introduce new subjects and facts to him without letting him know that he is indeed learning lot of new things. And wait until the gaga moment when he uses or explains those new facts to somebody else.

I think its this particular age that their brain cells are highly activated, more welcoming to new facts and most of the information is sub-consciously well retained. No wonder they start so many subjects in such early in Indian education.

At the same time I didn't want him to be forced to start learning a heavy curriculum which could kind of hinder their left brain activity.

He has another one full year before he starts his first grade. But I really want his learning process a constant thing and introduce concepts before he could actually read them as chapters, do homework and take exams.

So here are my leads - puzzles, LEGOs, DIY, Apps and Animals. Aren't these good enough to use as medium to introduce any concept to a kindergartner?. I have decided to challenge myself, do some research on list of topics, frame a simple learning worksheet and most importantly make time everyday evening to have fun together!!! and secretly improve my basic general knowledge as well (hehehe...skip that line if you have already not read it)

and more than him its me how needs lot of motivation and the fire which hopefully should not be put off by the Stavanger rains....So I thought I will keep updating this little space of mine here with our progress and it might be useful to few of fellow friends as well :)

Then we decided to name this series of posts with some name to label it and not confuse few dedicated followers with our musings and ramblings. Oops!!! The challenge starts right here....



2 comments:

  1. All the efforts will be appreciated by Shravan one day Any.... All the best to explore more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Salma :) Hopefully yeah :))) as long as i plan around what he loves doing...and that keeps changing so damn frequent these days....:(( but its definitely fun at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete